Inkscape.org
Beyond the Basics Save doesn't save (Inkscape 1.2.1)
    SorenTheSwede SorenTheSwede @SorenTheSwede

Hi all. I was working with Inkscape (1.2.1) this afternoon when it started to freeze on me during the export process. The process I use is that I save the file I'm working on (in SVG format) before I try to export. However, when I opened up the SVG after Inkscape froze some graphical elements that were there when I saved the file are suddenly missing. And for each time Inkscape freezes additional items would be missing for each restart. I finally tried to open the SVG in Edge, and rather than seeing any graphics I get a salmon-colored box with an error message stating:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 533 at column 20627102: AttValue: ' expected

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

And no, there's no rendering below the error message.

When I open the file in Inkscape all the graphics I was working on are now missing from the file, sans one of the original imported images, which in turn has been corrupted, turning the bottom part of the image gray.

TLDR: Inkscape will over-write a saved file during freeze/crash, thus corrupting the saved copy.

Tyler Durden Tyler Durden @TylerDurden

I'd check the autosaves.

SorenTheSwede SorenTheSwede @SorenTheSwede

Thanks for the tip. I found a good autosave but when open it and I try to save it Inkscape freezes and we're back to the same issue.

Tyler Durden Tyler Durden @TylerDurden

Before proceeding further, I would reset the preferences.

Feel free to share a copy of the file for evaluation.

Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Beyond the Basics Save doesn't save (Inkscape 1.2.1)