Inkscape.org
Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🍩 Inkscape Challenge | 1 June 2022 - 30 June 2022
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    *đŸ”„â€

We challenge you to draw (with Inkscape) some ice-cream.

Wether it's a sundae or a popsicle, let's have a frozen treat! What is your favorite choice? 

Everyone is invited to join in! Post your finished artwork below. 

All entries to be submitted by 30 June 2022.

Please do spread the word!
    #inkscapechallenge

Instructions/Information

• To submit your artwork, scroll to the bottom of the page and while logged in, click the paperclip (bottom-left) to upload your image, add a description in the text box (optional) and click "Submit Reply".
    • If you'd like to post work-in-progress artwork, create a thread in the "Work in Progress" section of the forum, and post your images there, with the title "June 2022 Ice-cream WIP - [your artwork title]" (you are welcome to ask for help there if you get stuck). When finished, post the final graphic to this thread.
    • This challenge will run from 1 June 2022 - 31 June 2022. There are no winners. These challenges are intended to inspire, to encourage you to share your work and to build a supportive community.
    • You're encouraged to discuss and offer feedback/constructive criticism to others, but please be respectful.
    • Most importantly, be creative, give your best, and have fun!

We look forward to seeing your entries!

Challenge entries (so far)

Ice Cream 2022
    Kw Icecream Still Only
    Summer Time / 2022
    Summer Time / 2022
    Icecreams
    Kw Icecream   More Please
    Final
    Nicecream / 2022
    Icecream2
    Ice Cream
    Icecreamfin
    Kw Twicecream 001
    Kw Tc Coloring Book
    Jfml Finallysummer 05
    F3
    06 26 Shans Shan Friends Cendol Small
    Glace Italienne
    Marcos GonzĂĄlez Marcos GonzĂĄlez @mrks9
    đŸ”„

I didn't achieve to make the ice cream (yet) So for the time being, here is a flat illustration in reference to the topic 😊

Ice Cream 2022
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    😂😂

Thank you for cutting the ice @mrks9! 

It's always a hard job breaking the ice (pun intended). 

Reminds me of a popular movie scene around, between Bud Spencer and Terence Hill. I belive  it's famous in Germany too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274Xy9k8O5M

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

Nice work @mrks9! I like the theme of your graphic. Feels like being on holiday. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

(Apologies I missed the start of the challenge, back now).

@Lazur Ha, ha... I remember seeing that movie when I was young and we going to double sessions in authentic no longer existing cinemas (at least around here), to see movies of Bud Spencer & Terence Hill, Cheech Y Chong, Bruce Lee, etc... 😄

Thanks, @pacer, that was the idea, welcoming the summer 😎

Hum Hum @Hum
    😀★

Tongue in cheek ice cream.

Kw Icecream Still Only
    ✔

Summer Time 😎

Summer Time / 2022
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

@mrks9 Nice concept... The umbrellas have no shadows, but the wafers and chocolate look great. Thanks for another great entry.

@pacer Oops, you are absolutely right. 😞

Quick correction 😞😄 Thanks for the advice, @pacerÂ đŸ€­

Summer Time / 2022
    Gill Gill @gnu61
    đŸ”„â˜…

I went pretty simple! makes MY mouth water anyway! and I cannot eat dairy icecream only coconut or home made( 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar whipped together, add 1/2 cup pureed fruit, freeze!! )

This type of icecream is choc chip with other flavours. Only thing that didn't work as well was the cones with the texture, lost some bits somewhere! haha someone got to the icecreams first!!

Icecreams
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@gnu61 Thank you for your ice cream entry --- very colourful!

I have never heard of ice cream made that way, interesting!. I avoid dairy too, so when I feel like ice cream, blended frozen bananas are a great creamy alternative.

Gill Gill @gnu61

Thanks for the feedback Pacer! I keep meaning to use banans that way! thanks fr the reminder. Do try the recipe above if you can eat eggs, its lovely with bananas in it, or even raw grated apple etc.

Hum Hum @Hum
    đŸ”„â€*

Running out of fresh ideas. Goofed around with shapes, colors, trace bitmap.

(Probably a more appropriate title should have been "Better, please".  :)

Kw Icecream   More Please
    Gill Gill @gnu61
    ✔

haha nice... It's so like an expressionist painting...

@ken10001000 It' s beautiful. Great work 💯

â€đŸ”„*

Here is another entry. I have used some images as masks to obtain some texture. I add another image with some adjustments and retouching in Gimp 😊

Final
    Nicecream / 2022
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀*

@ken10001000 I agree will @gnu61, this does look impressionistic. You have officially raised the bar.

@mrks9 That is a good looking ice cream! It is going to be hard to beat. Keep it up! You have some skills. Looking forward to seeing more.

Note: I am thinking of releasing next month's challenge early (commenting would be off prior to the first of the month), to give people a chance to come up with ideas (and time to work on them, without pressure) ... What do you think? @mrks9 @@ken10001000 @Lazur @gnu61

Hum Hum @Hum
    ❀✔

Marcos, wow. Excellent work ... "Nicecream" indeed!!!

Pacer, I think that is a good idea - to know in advance the upcoming month's challenge. That gives folks more time to think and create.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@ken10001000 @mrks9 @Lazur @gnu61

Which do you prefer:

- Challenges which are more directed, such as "Draw a Christmas bauble"

- Challenges which are open to interpretation, such as "Draw something relating to springtime"

★

Thanks, @pacer  @ken10001000 I was finding it difficult until I found a tutorial from a girl with Procreate and adapted it to Inkscape, trying to change the use of brushes to masks and I think it worked pretty well 😊

@pacer As for challenges, I think it's great that the topic is known earlier and as for preferences, well, I think some of my posts show that I prefer topics that are open to interpretation, but we'll adapt to what is 😁

Hum Hum @Hum
    ✔

Both type of challenges are good, but of the two, I'd prefer those that open to interpretation.

Thank you.

Gill Gill @gnu61
    đŸ”„

I do not mind whether open to interpretation or specific, sometimes the specific one will get me started earlier. I only came back here for some inspiration,and found it. I think each time we create we learn a new thing. thistime I learnt that I could apply a b+w texture and still be able to colorise it. I have been using inkscape for many years, but I don't alwyas go for the realistic look, but enjoy using the amazing materials filter to gain textures and abstract fills. :)

Ronald Marillier Ronald Marillier @foreverNoob
    đŸ”„â˜…

Find My entry attached! Thank you kindly!

Icecream2
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

We all scream for ice cream! Thank you @idmarillier. That is a nice effect.

If you put a clipping mask around it, I believe it would remove the haze.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@gnu61. I will keep that in mind. I am thinking to keep the challenges open to interpretation, while providing ideas as option and inspiration.

I also like the idea of colouring after drawing in b+w. I did something similar with this lion: https://inkscape.org/forums/finished/lion-head/

I am glad you came along and that you found the challenge inspiring. We are constantly running challenges on here so please do stick around. Multiple entries are welcome and the next challenge starts on July 1st.

Martin Owens Martin Owens @doctormođŸŒč⚖🧀
    ★

I decided to two an ice-cream tub, with an ice-cream cone, but one that the manufacturer wouldn't really like to make.

Ice Cream
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@doctormo Nice. I thought it was a photo from the thumbnail. Thanks for a great entry!

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@ken10001000 @mrks9 @Lazur @gnu61 @doctormo @idmarillier

It looks like we all love ice cream (of some variety).

Another question for all challengers:
    Are there any areas of your artwork which you find challenging and would like to improve?

Such as: composition, perspective, realism, lighting, Inkscape difficulties, overall process/workflow, or something else...

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@pacer I prefer challenges with a concrete theme -yet open for implementations. Can't think outside the box when there is no box. 

Moreover I'm hardly satisfied with my drawings which is why it helps if the challenge is focusing on a specific aspect.

The realism part is a struggle with inkscape, process starts with digging up reference images. 

Then it really doesn't matter wether that's some fruit or a pasta dish. 

However I'd develop a workflow which'd fit tracing with a stylistic approach. So far had only partial success with that. 

Hum Hum @Hum

Pacer, thank you for asking.

I agree with Lazur. I am rarely satisficed with my own results.

"Achieving realism" is probably the hardest quality to achieve. For me, also, I have to find a "style" (for lack of a better word) to represent what I do in Inkscape.

I'd love to hear from folks about their workflow (and thought processes), and their sources for inspiration and creativity.

Pacer, you mention "inkscape difficulties" ... that could lead to a separate set of topic(s).

(Not a moaning session, but "what are the needed steps, shortcuts, etc. to achieve this, or "please share with me a better or simpler way to do specifically "this".)

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀☝

@Lazur That is really good to know. I think you have done some really good (imaginative) work, but I think it is always in the artists mind to acheive more. Realism is a goal for me too, so that seems like a worthy focus for all of us.

@ken10001000 Thank you.You have inspired me to try something different.

-----------

I think it may be in the interest of the regulars to start a second thread which focuses on critiquing artwork. Something like "Improve my Artwork" where we try things together and focus on improving practices and workflows. Users could submit whatever artwork they like, they can say what they are trying to acheive and let the other users work on it.

Using a second thread for critique means that the challenges remain approachable to new challengers. At the same time, I will attempt to improve the challenge threads based on your feedback and I will be open to feedback as we go.

What do you all think, does this hit the mark?

Ronald Marillier Ronald Marillier @foreverNoob

@Pacer Thank you. Having trouble with the clipping mask. Will try it again at some point.😅

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@idmarillier No problem. Let me know if you need help with it and I'll take a look.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@pacer Interesting idea on the topic.

Based on my experience with the facebook group it's a slippery slope. 

Most people looked for a pat on the back there even for their images drawn without any effort. 

I learned my lesson not to share my opinion except when asked explicitely.

Edit: 

Since we don't have the amount of finished artworks  posted either I can imagine somekind of live streaming more,

discussing one's thoughts on a specific drawing/process etc.

Hum Hum @Hum
    ✔

Pacer, please read the attached text file. And decide if its contents are suitable to be posted here, for others to see. Or, dealt with in another way. Thank you.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@pacer @ken10001000 Felt it was appropriate to start this "spinoff" topic:

https://inkscape.org/forums/cafe/ask-the-experienced-and-learn-by-answering/

Freerk Holtes Freerk Holtes @Freerk
    ❀★★

Classic cone, different flavours, sprinkles and chocolate sauce

Icecreamfin

@Freerk Great! I couldn't watch the stream, but I watched the video afterwards. Good to see you hereÂ đŸ€˜

✔✔

@mrks9 Good to be here, I feel very nostalgic being on a forum and not a Discord server now :D

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

@Freerk Your ice cream looks delicious. Thank you for a great entry!

Hum Hum @Hum
    😂😂*

Days ago, when Marcos shared his excellent "Nicecream" entry, my mind went to the phrase "Twicecream".

But for days now, I have not thought of anthing truly "icecreamy", so I came up with this silliness below.

Please pardon my odd humor and I hope you get a laugh or two.

Kw Twicecream 001
    Kw Tc Coloring Book
    jlow jlow @jlow
    ★★★★

Hi all! Thanks for the challenge! Did not get as far as I want with this (icecream is hard/amazing, how it looks like rock and molten but not too shiny at the same time, super interesting!) but I'll be on holidays from tomorrow so here it is. ^__^ Hope you're all having a not too hot summer (and don't ask me about these weird wings, I have no idea what they're about, maybe so the whole thing can fly? Weird!).

Jfml Finallysummer 05
    Hum Hum @Hum

Hi, and welcome, jlow. I like your design, the colors, the colors, the happy faces. A good summer feel.

Hum Hum @Hum

Freerk, your icecream drawing is super.

Thank you Ken!
    I love your twicecream with the scoop in hand from the colouring book

jlow jlow @jlow

Thanks so much, Ken Wilson! I'm glad it looks summery, I wasn't too sure about the rather desaturated / pastel colours but also didn't want it to look too chemical/plastic (something I dislike with icecream) ^__^

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@jlow Your composition is excellent and so is your colour palette. Great work on capturing the mood.

jlow jlow @jlow
    ✔

Yay! Thanks @pacer! I'm glad you like it ^__^

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

Announcement! To all those involved in this month's challenge, our next challenge is now available to preview.

@jlow @Freerk @ken10001000 @mrks9 @Lazur @idmarillier @doctormo @gnu61

https://inkscape.org/forums/competitions/inkscape-challenge-1-july-2022-31-july-2022/

Challenge opens July 1st.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Hmm I thought foliage would fit better with autumn.

Thinking out loud, maybe I should start looking for coconut palm tree references.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    đŸ”„

TRying to add some new flavor to the cover image.

F3
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@Lazur Nice work.Looks more sketchy. Filters?

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@pacer Yes, the last resort for finishing. Would need further tweaking, as they were rigged from scratch -basic stuff.

jq jq @jq
    đŸ”„â€đŸ”„â€â€â€

Hi all! I'm new to this forum. Saw this challenge on mastodon and it brought up a scene in my mind involving characters I'm currently working on for a children's book series, and since I haven't done vector art in a really long time, I thought this would be a nice chance to develop my characters further and try my hand at vector art again.

This is probably the most complex vector art piece I've done so far, and I'm definitely still more of a painter than a vector artist, but it was fun.

The girl's animal friends are a smooth-coated otter, a Malayan water monitor, a Javan myna, and a tortoiseshell kitten.

The dessert they are ogling at is a delicious Southeast Asian shaved ice dessert called cendol, topped with a scoop of coconut ice cream (of course!)

Cendol is a dessert made out of shaved ice topped with the eponymous green pandan-flavoured jelly, sweet red beans, gula melaka (coconut palm sugar, which is a rich brown color) and coconut milk. It's delicious enough on its own but ice-cream is always a plus ;)

Thanks for the challenge!

06 26 Shans Shan Friends Cendol Small
    Hum Hum @Hum
    😀

Jq, super work. Thank your for sharing this.

😀

Hi, @jq Beautiful work. Welcome 💯

😀

@jq
    O wow that is beautiful work

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    😀

@jq Your entry is amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us and for the detailed explanation..

While you consider yourself a painter rather than a vector artist, you have done an excellent job of transitioning.

Our next challenge starts in a couple of days and personal artistic interpretations are welcome. I would love to see your entry.

https://inkscape.org/forums/competitions/inkscape-challenge-1-july-2022-31-july-2022/

Pacer
    Challenge Admin

jq jq @jq
    ✔

Thanks all! Hope to pop in on the challenges for the next months when I'm able to

Caradjine Caradjine @Caradjine
    ★❀

Hi,

I am new to this forum (not to use Inkscape, though) with limited skills in drawing. I hoe this Sunday ice-cream won't stand out too much in this challenge.

Glace Italienne
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@Caradjine Thank you for your challenge entry and welcome to the forum. All abilities are welcome and your ice-cream looks delicious!

Our July challenge starts tomorrow and I would love to see an entry from you.

Pacer
    Challenge Admin

Caradjine Caradjine @Caradjine
    ✔

Thank you. I'll try.

Welcome @Caradjine The ice cream looks nice.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ☝☝

@jlow @Freerk @ken10001000 @mrks9 @Lazur @idmarillier @doctormo @gnu61 @jq @Caradjine

Thank you all for participating in June's Inkscape challenge. There were some brilliant entries this month!

It is the 1st of the month and July's challenge is now open. It would be great to see you there.

If you can't take part, have a lovely July and I hope to see you again in a future challenge.

All the best!

Pacer

FrederickMyers FrederickMyers @FrederickMyers

I missed it :(

Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🍩 Inkscape Challenge | 1 June 2022 - 30 June 2022