Inkscape.org
Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions đŸ„€ Inkscape Challenge | 1 July 2023 - 31 July 2023
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ★

We challenge you to:

Design a Refreshing Beverage

Let's see what you come up with!

While we know we are going to get some stunning artwork, we also want to encourage beginners. If you are new to Inkscape, feel free to keep it simple.

Multiple entries are welcome, and please do stick around for the chat!

All abilities are invited to get involved. The complexity of your entry is down to you.

Please post your finished artwork below. 

IMPORTANT: If you would like to know what you could do to improve your artwork, add the phrase to your comment: "Brutal Feedback" --- only for those with nerves of steel!

All entries to be submitted by 31 July 2023.

Please spread the word!
    #inkscapechallenge

Instructions/Information

• To submit your artwork, scroll to the bottom of the page and while logged in, click the paperclip (bottom-left) to upload your image, add a description in the text box (optional) and click "Submit Reply".
    • If you'd like to post work-in-progress artwork, create a thread in the "Work in Progress" section of the forum, and post your images there, with the title "July 2023 Design a Refreshing Beverage WIP - [your artwork title]" (you are welcome to ask for help there if you get stuck). When finished, post the final graphic to this thread.
    • There are no winners. These challenges are intended to inspire, to encourage you to share your work and to build a supportive community.
    • You're encouraged to discuss and offer feedback/constructive criticism to others, but please be respectful.
    • Most importantly, be creative, give your best, and have fun!

We look forward to seeing your entries!

Challenge entries (so far)

858F4Ae6 76E6 4236 Bf7A Dce3B7A61133
    Tormods Tea
    A water can
    Natural 2023
    Natural Inkscape
    Freeze Dried Perrier
    Energy drink*
    Eau Canada
    Beer Wallpaper  2023
    Choisiup Xcant Vf1
    Hum Hydation Libation
    Eau Canada
    Peanut'S Soft Drink
    Homer Beer Inkscape
    Homer Beer / 2023
    Orange Juiced
    Lemonade
    Flower power energy drink
    Green grass juice
    Theultim Path28048B
    Boxcutter Boxcutter @Boxcutter
    ★❀★❀❀*

This is a picture I made years ago, and posted as a challenge (not fully aware of the rules, or aware that the challenge was already over.) I made this using two of my favorite techniques, gradient mesh, and perspective. I could have also posted this for the last two challeges as it meets both the themes of 3D and reflections.

Edit- I also want “Brutal Feedback” for this or any other work of mine. I am always working to improve and push myself further.

858F4Ae6 76E6 4236 Bf7A Dce3B7A61133
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ★*

@Boxcutter

Brutal Feedback:

Positive: Interesting composition, good use of colour, consistent style and detail, accurate reflections and lighting.
    Negative: I can't see any issues.

Very eye-catching and a great start to the challenge, Thanks for sharing!

I look forward to seeing you continue to push the boundaries.

Regarding challenges, officially the challenges close at the end of the last day of the month, but I leave them open for late entries. If you want to post artwork to old challenge threads, you are welcome to do so.

Gabor Gabor @razr
    🐳😀★😀★🐳

A 100% natural drink. You can drink it immediately after opening. When it runs out, it can be refilled. Whenever you want. ;)

A water can
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    😉

@razr A very convincing can. Not only is it refreshing, it's convenient too! Thanks for sharing!

Marcos GonzĂĄlez Marcos GonzĂĄlez @mrks9
    ❀❀⛰*

No additives,no chemical preservation or sugar added 😊

Natural 2023
    Natural Inkscape
    Martin Owens Martin Owens @doctormođŸŒč⚖🧀

Do we have a can template, maybe with those droplets?

pjschleitwilerfcm pjschleitwilerfcm @pjschleitwilerfcm
    😀😀🐳🐳*

Tormod's Tasty Tea

brutal feedback

Tormods Tea

@doctorno The image on the right is made with Inkscape. The addition of the one on the left is made in Gimp through a set of filters called G'mic. By the way, it would be a dream to be able to implement it in Inkscape 😊

😀😀★

Freeze Dried Perrier

Brutal feedback

Freeze Dried Perrier
    Gabor Gabor @razr
    😀*😂

I think, it would be very tasty*. If you really want to throw fire from all your body openings, i suggest you to drink it hot. ;)

(*no. not really. just kidding.)

Energy drink*
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@pjschleitwilerfcm

Brutal feedback.

Some of the sachet is affected by light (light source appears to be top-left), while some looks a bit flat. I would place shadow next to the ridges of the packet (bottom-right) and next to the packet (with the same orientation). A less vibrant background would also draw the eye to the object.

(If you want me to show you, feel free to post the svg and I'll send back the changes).

With that said, I think that the sachet is clearly recognizable, the logo is well done and it's a great concept. I'd love to know how you keep the bubbles in there lol.. Thank you for sharing.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@pjschleitwilerfcm I just spotted the request for feedback on your previous graphic, sorry for the late response.

I love the concept. Was it a trace of a photo of a glass?
    If so, to add realism, you might choose to use some transparency in your layers to show the background.

I'm guessing this is 'fishy' sea water? Gross! lol
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

@mrks9 Sorry for the late comment -- I have been working on something (can't say what it is yet).

Your can is very vibrant. And, as always your composition is top notch. I think you could do those droplets in inkscape without filters if you had the time. Try tracing one of them until it looks the same. I created one droplet and sprayed clones of varying sizes across the can. Blend modes should do the rest.

Nice entry. Thanks for sharing!

The drink for patriotic Canadians.

Brutal feedback, please.

Eau Canada

@pacer

Re "Tea', tracing plus other work.

Re" "Perrier:The packet contains the bubbles of course and some minerals.

Thanks @pacer You are right about the drops, in fact I already made them for the leaf challenge. I could have reused them here, but it didn't think of it 😄

XCANT XCANT @XCANT
    â€đŸ˜“â€â˜…â˜…â˜…

Thirsty? Need a refreshing drink? Try CHOISI UP, a soda with natural lemon and lime flavors. With no artificial stuff, CHOISI UP is perfect for any occasion. Available now in this channel for a limited time, taxes apply. 🍋🌞

Choisiup Xcant Vf1
    ❀

@XCANT Beautiful! Thanks for sharing 💯

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

@XCANT Stunning! Love the lighting and your use of water droplets (especially on the sides), it really adds to the realism.

Thank you for sharing!

XCANT XCANT @XCANT
    ☝

@pacer @mrks9 Thanks a lot đŸ„č🙏

😀★*

For me nothing is more refreshing than beer and this is one of my favorite quotesÂ đŸ˜ŠđŸ»

Beer Wallpaper  2023
    😂

Marcos:

This reminds me that German sausage is the wurst thing you can eat and the antidote to German sausage is a liter of beer.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@pjschleitwilerfcm I am assuming that the bottle and glass are a bitmap trace and the custom part is the label "EAU CANADA"?
    Forgive me if I have that wrong.

The size of the letters does give the appearance that the text is wrapping around the bottle, but it looks to me that the (invisible) horizon line is near to the top of the glass (due to the lack of curvature). For greater realism, the text should be curved in the opposite direction (with the left and right edges being ever so slightly higher than the middle).

I hope that is useful.

@pacer

I agree about the text. Error from working too close. I noticed it after posting to the forum but had no time to redo yet.

I am trying something new which I have not seen described before. Bottle and glass were traced in grayscale at 12 levels. Then, using a test swatch, I chose colors for each value and used the fill tool to layer color over the gray. For the bottle and cork, I created a new shape for each with a midrange color blended as color over all to unify them. The overall bottle shape used a gradient fill, linear, opaque to transparent from top to bottom. It's based on the oil painting technique, with a grisaille underpainting and color glazing.

Do you know if  anyone has done this with Inkscape before?

Hum Hum @Hum

The entries for this challenge have been incredible. Showing the skill and creativity of these fine Inkscapers. All are much applauded.

I know the focus of these last few challenges has been super realism or photo realism. My offering here is different version of art. My health over the months has been challenged. So, I share this simpler creation.

It is a depiction of sorts of a water fused drink. A  "hydration libation" or "libation sensation".

I hoped to mingle some humor along with a unique beverage of sorts. That is why the comic like tongue and mouth and "face". Along with some wording to provide some smiles.

Have a great day and keep refreshed with what truly satisfies. 

Hum Hydation Libation
    DesignerPeanut DesignerPeanut @DesignerPeanut

I tried designing a 12 oz soda can and it wasn't easy...

Brutal Feedback

Peanut'S Soft Drink
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@pjschleitwilerfcm it's hard for me to visualise your steps, but it sounds very involved, so you could be the first.

I would recommend hand tracing the bottle and glass as it helps to understand complex reflections and refraction. Bitmap trace is awesome, but, like many tools, it can block progress.

Generally speaking, I avoid filters, bitmap tracing and any other effects as my drawings are actually just a way of me experimenting and learning. Of course, you are welcome to use these tools. This is just based on my own journey.

Full disclosure: I did use a filter in the graphic above to make a misty background.

I hope that is useful to you.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@DesignerPeanut If you haven't drawn anything like this before, this is a really good start. While there are a few things which take away from the realism of your finished piece, much of what you have done is convincing.

Some points to think about:
    - Your can appears to be lit from the front, but your shadow implies lighting from the right.
    - Try standing up your can. The lighting can be more challenging, but will be more convincing (use references for light and shadow)
    - Your graphic looks stretched horizontally. You don't need to do that.
    If you wanted to make this hyper-realistic, you would shrink your graphic horizontally toward the edges, but this is difficult and unnecessary.
    - The top of your can looks perfect, the bottom looks a little flat (although sometimes curved surfaces can look flat in certain light).

Overall the can is good. Thank you for sharing. I'd like to see more artwork from you in the future.
    Multiple entries are welcome here.

If you want to see what this could look like, post your svg file and I'll take a look.

Welcome to the challenge!

Pacer
    Challenge Admin

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

Artist of the Month

For those who aren't subscribed to the challenger chat: http://www.inkscape.org/forums/competitions/challenger-chat-for-off-topic-ramblings-and-chitchat/

...As of this month, we have launched the Artist of the Month contest. This month's Artist of the Month is one of our challengers, Razr.

All artwork submitted to the website is entered into the contest, automatically. More details of the AOTM contest will be shared with you soon.

If you have any questions, drop them in the challenger chat.

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀*

@pjschleitwilerfcm This is how I would approach your concept.
    For this project, I used mainly the pen tool and some gradients and blurs. Drawing an irregular shape and playing with a radial gradient can produce some interesting effects.

- avoid simple polygons unless the object is simple and rigid (even then, look for imperfections)
    - focus on what you can see, rather than what you think you see
    - bend your labels to the contours of the object (as the object turns away, the label will appear squashed)
    - keep colours subtle

When you think you can't do something, ignore that thought and push forward. :)

Nice! @pacer 👏

😂😂

Keeping with the beer theme, I saw this image and replicated it in my own way. I'm sorry I can't name the author, but here's the reference  https://www.pinterest.es/pin/98868154316346592/

Homer Beer Inkscape
    Homer Beer / 2023
    Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀

@mrks9 Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Gabor Gabor @razr
    😂

@mrks9 I hope it will be two beers. Minimum.

Improved Eau Canada

Eau Canada
    Gabor Gabor @razr
    ❀❀❀❀

We had a heat wave last week, so we had to make our own homemade soft drink,

Lemonade
    😀

@razr Beautiful, I feel thirsty as soon as I see itÂ đŸ€€

❀★

Orange Juiced

Brutal feedback.

Orange Juiced
    Gabor Gabor @razr
    ❀❀

I had two more ideas, but after some googling, it turned out that both brands already exist. Anyway, these are my versions of the topic.

Flower power energy drink
    Green grass juice
    Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    ❀❀❀❀*

Hello everyone. Except the inkscape logo and the fonts, all the rest is made from scratch using inkscape 1.2. Hope you like it.

>EDITED< I changed the image of the original post with a slightly different version: I also added a few droplets around the bottle cap and moved the word "FIKSITOL" slightly to the right, so now it looks more balanced.

Theultim Path28048B
    ❀

@Inkonic It looks beautiful! Dr Owens will be proud 😄

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    😀

@razr That is a neat looking can template you have made. Can't wait to try the grass. Mmmm!

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁
    ❀*

@Inkonic an impressive entry. Welcome to the monthly Inkscape challenge. I'm sure Martin will be tickled when he sees this one.

You have some decent skills, I would be interested to see more work from you in the near future.

Pacer
    Challenge Admin

Pacer Pacer @pacer⚖🏁

@pjschleitwilerfcm sorry for the late response. I've been caught up in the 1.3 release lately.

I like this. It is simple and elegant. I like the use of colour. Decent work. Thanks for sharing.

Inkonic Inkonic @Inkonic
    ★🖍🖍*

Thank you all for the warm welcoming!😊

I first thought to use "dr. Inkonic" for this project but then I remembered how much we actually all owed to Mr. Owens (and not only, of course!).

So, the final result was my way to say, "THANK YOU, dr.MO and all you wonderful, Inkscape people".đŸ€©
    Here's a short video about the droplets: https://youtu.be/S9QDFMZ9gJc

Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions đŸ„€ Inkscape Challenge | 1 July 2023 - 31 July 2023