Inkscape.org
Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🎄 Inkscape Challenge | 1 December 2021 - 31 December 2021
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

We challenge you to design a Christmas bauble with Inkscape, and to post your finished artwork below. Everyone is invited to join in!

All entries to be submitted by 31 December 2021.

Please do spread the word!
    #inkscapechallenge

Also, there are more challenges to come (next one starts 1st January 2022), so put it in your calendar.

Instructions/Information

Please read the rules

If you'd like to post work-in-progress artwork, create a thread in the "Work in Progress" section of the forum, and post your images there, with the title "December 2021 Bauble Challenge WIP - [your artwork title]" (you are welcome to ask for help there if you get stuck). When finished, post the final graphic to this thread.

This challenge will run from 1 December 2021 - 31 December 2021. There are no winners. These challenges are intended to inspire, to encourage you to share your work and to build a supportive community.

You're encouraged to discuss and offer feedback/constructive criticism to others, but please be respectful.

Most importantly, be creative, give your best, and have fun!

We look forward to seeing your entries.

Challenge entries (so far)

Ken Kissy Fishy
    Squabble Baubles
    Baubel 2021 11 30 23 49 46
    Christmas Bauble03
    Dodecahedron Ornament
    Idea 03
    Kw Bauble
    Final
    Final
    Happy 2022 Final
    Xmasbauble
    Kw Bauble Ideas
    Xmascardinkscape
    The Gift Before Me
    Banka
    Green Bauble
    Half Half Bauble
    Inkscape Challenge Bauble2
    Making The Circular Grid
    Merry Christmas Inkscapers
    In The Right Place
    Bauble
    Shd 12 Ii
    Shd 13 Ii
    inklinea inklinea @inklinea⛰️

Star Wars Death Star meets the Bauble.

Baubel 2021 11 30 23 49 46
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@inklinea Nice work. And fast! I'm interested to know your method. Did you map a pattern to the sphere or did you generate the artwork somehow?

It's made using a series of extension steps - that's what you have to do if you're not an artist :)

Wireframe Sphere with no back, use the rectangle trick to divide the pieces. Apply a solid colour to random tiles. Select by colour, and remove those tiles.

Apply a colour list to the remaining tiles, distort them / add a texture filter,  then place an identical gradient on opposite diagonals of a circle. Put a couple of glowing things in the middle.

Marcos González Marcos González @mrks9

@inklinea Cool work! It could also be perceived as a typical 80's disco ball 😉

🔥

I'm not a big fan of Christmas, but here's a first picture 

Christmas Bauble03
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 I like your approach. Is the pink/purple bauble daydreaming?

@pacer Yeah, exactly. Since we work with shapes in Inkscape, I came up with this. A sphere's dream of becoming a cube 😄

mrks9 - that's really nice - looking at the top of the bauble clasp - makes me remember when they were all very thin glass instead of plastic

@inklinea Thanks 

jbruce12000 jbruce12000 @jbruce12000

Here's an ornament. You can just print it as-is, or you can replace the red parts with pictures for that personal touch. We made lots of ornaments like this from holiday cards when I was a kid.

https://openclipart.org/detail/188842/dodecahedron-ornament

Dodecahedron Ornament
    Martin Owens Martin Owens @doctormo🌹🧀

@jbruce12000 I like this design, I could see me editing this to make a version that could be used with my cutting machine.

jbruce12000 jbruce12000 @jbruce12000

@doctormo I made a bunch of these which are blank and may be better suited to your cutting machine...

https://openclipart.org/detail/188881/blank-octahedron-ornament

https://openclipart.org/detail/188880/blank-cube-ornament

https://openclipart.org/detail/188879/blank-tetrahedron-ornament

https://openclipart.org/detail/188878/blank-icosahedron-ornament

https://openclipart.org/detail/188877/blank-truncated-tetrahedron-ornament

https://openclipart.org/detail/188874/blank-dodecahedron-ornament

and lastly, one like the original post above, but with xmas themed art...

https://openclipart.org/detail/188883/christmas-ball

Another image for the challenge... I can't think of "normal" things 😁

Idea 03
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 Very creative. What is the story behind this one?

@pacer Thank you. Well, as in the previous image, give a different role to something, in this case give life to something that should not have 

Hum Hum @Hum

Hi there. Wanted something simple, with a childlike feel. (Used several filters.)

Kw Bauble

I can't get my Christmas baubles hanging on the tree, as they should 😁

Final
    Hum Hum @Hum
    😂

Novel idea, great artwork.

Reminds me of this song by The 5th Dimension.

https://youtu.be/2-UQ0-8ktAM

@ken10001000 Ha, ha Thanks 😉

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 you continue to come up with clever concepts. Surreal, but well done! Thanks for another great entry, keep 'em coming! :)

@pacer Thank you. Yeah, I really like Magritte's concepts and that kind of ideas.

My bauble submission is unusual because it's a quick tutorial on clones:

Hum Hum @Hum

Thank you, Martin. Super, short, very helpful video. I learned somethibg new today from you. I am sure all of us would appreciate more instructional videos (tutorials) ... just as we appreciate your developer skills and sharings. Keep 'em coming, please.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@doctormo Thanks Martin. I learn new things about Inkscape every day.
    How many times have I unlinked clones to change the colour?... Too many!

Hum Hum @Hum
    😂

"Kissy Fishy" baubles.

An idea whose time has come.

Ken Kissy Fishy
    Hum Hum @Hum

"Squabble Baubles".

Maybe a bauble or two will "do us good".

(Yes, I know the word "all" is in the graphic twice.)   :)

Squabble Baubles

@ken10001000 Cool designs, very creative 👏

This time I started with a basic Ying Yang shape, but I kept going and resulted in this bizarre ball. The background paper is also made with Inkscape in the form of a pattern 😄

Final
    Hum Hum @Hum

Another great result. Keep 'em coming.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 Another unusual, inventive concept. I like your focus on the object's environment (repeating pattern).

I know it's still early, but with this last entry I take this opportunity to wish you all a good year. As you will see, I have recycled elements from previous entries 😜

Happy 2022 Final
    z3z z3z @z3z

Made a little Christmas card with some baubles on it. I think I could have done better if I had more time, but they were fun to make. 😄

Xmasbauble

Nice work. I like the colors and typography 👏

Hum Hum @Hum

Even more beauties, Marcos and z3z.

Thank you both for sharing and inspiring us.

Hum Hum @Hum

A few bauble ideas. Light up the corner you are in. Merry Christmas indeed.

(BTW ... any one care to to make a "Bauble Q" (as in "barbeque") or a "Bauble Head"?)

Kw Bauble Ideas

@ken10001000 I like your designs. Especially the one to the right of the yellow circle. Nice work 👌

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@z3z Attractive baubles. I like how you used the gold to depict the shape. It looks 'glittery', did you use a filter?

@ken10001000 Lots of ideas there, I agree with @mrks9 I think the one adjacent to the yellow bauble is the best. All very glass-like. Thanks for another great entry.

Hum Hum @Hum

Thank you all for your comments. If you are interested in some of the key steps that I used in these graphics, I added this mini-tutorial.

https://inkscape.org/forums/tutorials/an-encouragement-to-keep-exploring-inkscape/

z3z z3z @z3z
    pacer

Attractive baubles. I like how you used the gold to depict the shape. It looks 'glittery', did you use a filter?

Thank you! I googled for Inkscape and glitter and came across a Youtube vid that looked quite good. In summary, on the Fills & Strokes panel, I filled each shape with the Sand pattern, then I used Filters > Colour > Colourise to change it to a gold-ish colour. It turned out not too badly, though I think with a little more time it could look better. But it was very fast and easy, and a nice effect for little effort!

Some really nice, original work in this thread. Well done everyone!

z3z z3z @z3z

I couldn't resist having another go at this. I think the glitter effect is a little better this time, but it's maybe a bit cheesy! 🤣

Xmascardinkscape
    Hum Hum @Hum

Hi, z3z. Not cheesy. Tasty. Good. Very nice. Thank you.

Hum Hum @Hum

One more. Not all baubles have the same shape or depth. Something different ... regarding the real meaning of Christ-mas. The Gift before "me".

The Gift Before Me
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@z3z Love 'em. Simple, elegant and festive! I must try that effect.

@ken10001000 Good work, interesting shape. Agreed, important not to forget. Merry Christmas Ken, thanks for sharing! 

Hum Hum @Hum

Thank you, Pacer.

Pacer, the graphic you shared at the beginning of this challenge - was that Inkscake vector based and/or bitmaps? If vector based, could you share detsils on how that ornament was made? Thanks.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@ken10001000 The whole thing is vector, aside from converting some layers to bitmap along the way to reduce lag.. There are a couple of ways to achieve the bauble, but not too easy to explain. I will attempt to record my preferred process as it might be easier to follow if you watch me do it. It was all very experimental and took me a while to figure out. I will post it here and tag you when it is recorded.

The lighting of the bauble was done with a combination of radial and mesh gradients.

vikyr vikyr @vikyr

Another interesting challenge, which led me to discover snapping bug :)

Banka
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@vikyr Very good work! I'm curious, how did you affix the pattern to the shape? I have been working on a technique, but interested to know if anyone else has a simpler way?

Hum Hum @Hum

Thanks, Vikyr. I like this. And as Pacer asked, how did you "attach" ("affix") the pattern to the circular shape - to make it appear curvied 'correctly"?

And Pacer, I am very interested in any details you have (or use) along those line. Thank you.

@pacer We are looking forward to that video. The lighting of your image is excellent. I always have the problem of color banding when I use gradients 👌

@vikyr Well done! 👏

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@ken10001000 @mrks9 OK. Here it is. Apologies in advance, this isn't the easiest thing to copy. While using Lattice Deformation, the nodes are hard to see. The video is in real time (I did this fast to prevent creating a huge video file). At one point my mouse moved over the flip vertically button, ignore that (it looks like I clicked it, but I actually pressed the delete key).

While manipulating the nodes, if you are moving them vertically or horizontally, hold CTRL for better accuracy. However you will have to make the diagonal movements manually. You can, in Lattice Deformation, select mirror vertically & horizontally... this works, but was too laggy for the video.

Give it a shot and post your work. I'd be interested to see your designs.

If your Lattice Deformation isn't working, take a screenshot (while active) and I will try to advise on where to move your nodes.

https://office.inkscape.org/nextcloud/index.php/s/eskqNCH9FBZkNSi

vikyr vikyr @vikyr

Extensions -> Render -> Wireframe Sphere with higher line density, like 80 lines in each direction, then I've just repetitively drawn lines between path intersections, so I can't offer some new pattern fitting technique, unfortunately.

@pacer Thank you so much. If I have any problems, I will definitely ask for your help 

I just saw it. I wouldn't have figured out an approach like this. Thanks again 🤙

Hum Hum @Hum

Hi. First, my big thanks for sharing both of your methods (processes), Pacer and Vikyr. I will watch the video tommorrow and try the shared  wireframe method also.

The funny thing is prior to viewing these latest posts today, I spent about 2 hours today, attempting my own way.

I first made a circular grid of sorts to use as a "guide" and then went first to using Lattice Deformation. But, for me, it was a "pain" and many, many steps in an attempt to achieve a visually pleasing result. Then, using this same "circular guide", I tried to use the Envelope LPE - one section at a time. From past experience, I found that one can add extra nodes to the Top, Borrom, Left and Right sides, then by clicking each newly added node, move things around. But, alas, that also was a "fail". Next, using that same "circular grid" as a visual guide, I tried again, using the Bend LPE. Like the Envelope LPE, one can click to add additional nodes to the bend line. Then move things around, one node at a time. Still, no worthwhile result.

My aim is to view your materials, revisit my attempts with the Lattice Deformation, Envelope, and Bend tools. I probably will post somewhere the processes - and the "circular grid" as a guide that I am referring to, with more details. I think if I post these steps - even if they wind up being "fails" that one or more Inkscapers could review them, and hopefully find a better way, or further suggestions.

It is a shame that Inkscape does not have a more adept envelope creation tool in place. I am not casting dispersions here. Just stating my frustrations.

Also, I still have a Xara Xtreme program from 2006 that can easily create all kinds of circular, elliptical, etc. Envelopes and use these envelopes on text, or any other shape. And this same program from 2006 works on Windows 10. So, someone has figured such enveloping possibilities many, many years ago, which still work to this day. I know Inkscape is not meant to he a copy of any other graphic software. And I do not want it to be. And I truly appreciate Inkscape as it currently is and becoming. I am just sharing that the ideas and means for useful, malleable "envelope" creations exist.

Anyway, I will do some more experimentation and re-tooling over the next few days and share what I have done and tried.

Thanks again, everyone.

z3z z3z @z3z

I'm aware that this is a little off topic to the (very interesting!) discussion here, but... if someone's in a hurry or the Inkscape tools just aren't working for them... Gimp has a great little filter called 'Spherize' (it's under Filter > Distorts > Spherize). After running it on your drawing, you can copy the result straight into Inkscape and run 'Trace Bitmap'. It works well if you need something quick.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

I went with a different shape this time.

Edit: I have updated the colours. (a slight green tint now to the top) ...Thanks for pointing out the issue @mrks9 , I'd be interested to hear your thoughts..

Green Bauble

@pacer It looks very nice. It looks like studio lit, although I think black is too black. Good work 🤙

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 Thank you. Yes, it's caused by the effect of the overlay (colour burn). I would have preferred a green tint, but some refactoring of the design would be necessary to achieve this. If I solve it, I will post an update.

@pacer I like it much better now. The image looks more refined. It will be personal taste, but I find the pure blacks and whites strange. 😉

Hum Hum @Hum

Beautiful new bauble, Pacer. Thank you for sharing this.

Hum Hum @Hum

Pacer, I reviewed your video about creating the first bauble depicted her. It is clear and helpful. Thank you.

I have attached some material her about the "circular grid" idea of which I spoke previously. The svg file can obviously be resized to suit any square "starting object".

See the graphics here, the text file with instructions, and the svg. Perhaps these will serve as an alternative way or give folks ideas on possibilities.

Making The Circular Grid
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

Another experiment.

Half Half Bauble
    Hum Hum @Hum

Wow, Pacer, you tantalize, amaze, and brighten up the Inkscape landscape. Very, very impressive work. Thank you.

I'm trying out a modification to the forum called "Bundled Gallery", it's something a moderator can turn on or off in the edit topic. Basically it allows you to see all the entrants at the top instead of at the point of the comment. This might be too disassociated though, even though it's nice to see all the entries in one place at the top.

Hum Hum @Hum

Hi, everyone, and Merry Christmas.

When just one bauble will not do ...

(Tried repeatedly to delete duplicate xtra blue and yellow baubles ... oh well.)

Merry Christmas Inkscapers
    Hum Hum @Hum

I think a poster's comments are an integral part of their contribution, and the associated image(s) should stay with their comments. If I wish to voice my appreciation for someone's art, or ask questions, the "disassociated" Bundled Gallery makes it difficult to do that. One would have to notice an image at top, scroll down, and "find" relating comments, to follow along, or respond with encouragement or relative questions. They were shared together at the same posting, so it makes more sense to me to keep them together ... not distanced apart.

Hum Hum @Hum

Hi. My last entry, this little piece.

"In the Right Place".

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

In The Right Place
    Sibylle Sibylle @BabaJaga

Hello Folks!

What a wide range of styles in the entries.

this is my version of a bauble, I was not very patient. The gradient tool drove me nuts. I'm not sure, maybe I have to find out if I can enlarge the handle symbols. I can hardly see them with my settings right now. But hey...

I wish everyone good holidays and a happy new year.

Inkscape Challenge Bauble2
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@BabaJaga Lovely work! A stylish and realistic depiction. Thank you for your entry.

Hum Hum @Hum

Sibylle, this is beautiful work. Very nice. Thank you for sharing your bauble.

@BabaJaga Great Work! Thanks for sharing it. I had the same problem when I started using this version. @doctormo  showed me how to increase the size of the handles 😊I was going crazy too 😂 I leave a screenshot for you to see it.

m1981 m1981 @m1981

Merry Christmas everyone !

For me, it will be a "trapped in a bauble" version :

Not so easy to be Santa !

Bauble

@m1981 I love it! Thanks for sharing it 👋

Hum Hum @Hum

Very clever art work, m1981!

Looks like it was an "inside" job. Maybe some pesky elves were involved? If he can get stuck in a chimney, why not in a bauble?

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@m1981  A novel idea, well executed.  Thank you for your entry.

Not essential, but if you add the graphic as an attachment, it should appear in the showcase/gallery at the top.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@BabaJaga If you add your design as an attachment, it should automatically show up in the showcase/gallery at the top.

m1981 m1981 @m1981

@pacer I tried to update it.

Seemed to work... But I lost original DA link. I modified it again, but no update was taken in account (probably too many update attempts on the same message). In fact, I'm not comfortable with image attachment options : which one to use to obtain an embedded thumbnail in the text, leading to url for full-size + SVG in attachment ?

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@m1981 I can see your image is now showing at the top. I know there are some (anti-spam) measures to prevent people updating their comments after a given time. Perhaps I can help you there. I'm not sure exactly what you need, could you rephrase?

Are you wanting your image to be displayed full size within the comment?

Sibylle Sibylle @BabaJaga

Thank you for your nice words!

@pacer I tried adding the image as an attachment. Don't know what went wrong. For my taste it is a bit too smooth to look realistic. I planned making a blurred christmas tree background with twigs and bokeh candles and stuff. I just lost patience while fiddling with that gradient tool. The ribbon turned out quite nicely - that was a happy accident.

I hope there will be a competition in january, too. I like to see everyones entries. So many different stiles and skill levels. We all benefit. I'm a do things by hand person. Making mandalas by entering rotation angles by hand and ctrl+c -ing a lot. Reading that people casually say that they use formulas and tools for this makes me think about my own workflow and points me to things I can improve using the software. Things you don't notice, when you just work on your own in your chamber...

Thank you for hosting this competition. And thanks for everyone being kind and supportive to eachother.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@BabaJaga There is another challenge planned for January. If all goes to plan, it will be posted at the start of Jan. These challenges are expected to be every month now.

Alongside these challenges, there are other challenges planned (of a different nature), so keep your eye out for those too!

Yes, it is interesting to learn other peoples' techniques and experiment with new things. I'm still learning every day and these challenges give me a good reason to draw and further my own skills, while hopefully providing others with an avenue to further their own abilities. And, you're right, everyone has been very supportive to each other which is great to see.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Just finished this one. Let's see if I can get the attachment right the first time.

A larger rendering is available here:

https://www.deviantart.com/lazururh/art/Christmas-baubles-902109487

Hum Hum @Hum

Whoa, Lazur. Simply brilliant, beautiful. Top-notch work here. Thank you for sharing this.

Any details (shortcuts, etc.) On how you made this?

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Used alot of filtering. The baubles are circles filled with a simple black to white radial gradient, the rest is added in by the filters. 

Wasn't the best idea, probably a more vector-based substitute would work better. Took about two days what would have been 2 hours with blender.

The background is also generated by a custom filter, with some additional radial gradients and dithering. 

The ornament caps and the starburst effect were based on reference images, although the latter doesn't make much sense as depicted -photography wise- but added it in anyway.

Hum Hum @Hum

Thank you for the details and the dedication to produce such great results.

Quick follow-up: do you think a user can create such outcomes, without using the in-built filters witin Inkscape?

That is, could a user experiment with various objects, opacities, gradients, etc. and with more effort, create such pleasing results? 

Thank you again, Lazur.

@Lazur Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing 🤯👏

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

@ken10001000 

@mrks9

Thank you for the kind words!

ken10001000

Quick follow-up: do you think a user can create such outcomes, without using the in-built filters witin Inkscape?

Those filters are not built in but rigged custom with the filter editor from scratch. 

Still, the diffuse effect can be drawn manually by either using radial gradients or gradient meshes or interpolation, or a combination of those. With some use of clipping and masking as well. 

Rendering-wise without the filters it'd run much faster so it can be beneficial experimenting with different approaches.

Some filter effects are inevitable because there is no dithering by default and the gradients show Mach banding everywhere. Also for adding textures and some blending modes can come handy. For 3D shading large spheres, filters are a bit of an overkill.

BabaJaga

Making mandalas by entering rotation angles by hand

This is slightly off topic, but you can make mandalas by rotating a clone of a layer, when you paint into it you then paint on all parts of the mandala at once.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Update, with more baubles.

Reworked the original bauble, so this time instead of a set of diffuse filter primitives, it is built up by 12 radial gradients atop eachother.

Then filters are used to colour the result. 

The previous version took 70 minutes exporting at 96 dpi, this one took 2. 

Here is the large version: https://www.deviantart.com/lazururh/art/Christmas-baubles-902312136

Also, sharing the svg-s for both versions -needless to say, handle with care, especially the first one.

with diffuse filters:

https://openclipart.org/detail/335109/baubles-2021-collection

with gradients:

https://openclipart.org/detail/335110/baubles-2021-collection-ii

edit:

cannot edit my previous post with the attachment, so attaching the previous entry here too so that they both appear atop properly.

Shd 13 Ii
    Shd 12 Ii
    Hum Hum @Hum

More amazing work, Lazur.

Thank you for putting the whip cream on top of this challenge.

Bauble-li-cious.

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

Thank you to all those who participated in the Christmas Bauble Challenge. I loved all the unique approaches.
    January is here, and I look forward to seeing your entries in this month's challenge.

@ken10001000
    @m1981
    @vikyr
    @mrks9
    @inklinea
    @BabaJaga
    @jbruce12000 
    @doctormo
    @z3z
    @Lazur

Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🎄 Inkscape Challenge | 1 December 2021 - 31 December 2021