Inkscape.org
Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🧊 Inkscape Challenge | 1 August 2022 - 31 August 2022
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁
    🔥🔥🔥*

We challenge you to:

Draw any object from more than one point of view.

Multiple entries welcome, and please stick around for the chat!

This is the first of a series of challenges focused on realism.

All abilities are encouraged to get involved. The complexity of your entry is down to you.

Please post your finished artwork below. 

All entries to be submitted by 31 August 2022.

Please do spread the word!
    #inkscapechallenge

Instructions/Information

• To submit your artwork, scroll to the bottom of the page and while logged in, click the paperclip (bottom-left) to upload your image, add a description in the text box (optional) and click "Submit Reply".
    • If you'd like to post work-in-progress artwork, create a thread in the "Work in Progress" section of the forum, and post your images there, with the title "August 2022 PoV WIP - [your artwork title]" (you are welcome to ask for help there if you get stuck). When finished, post the final graphic to this thread.
    • This challenge will run from 1 August 2022 - 31 August 2022. There are no winners. These challenges are intended to inspire, to encourage you to share your work and to build a supportive community.
    • You're encouraged to discuss and offer feedback/constructive criticism to others, but please be respectful.
    • Most importantly, be creative, give your best, and have fun!

We look forward to seeing your entries!

Challenge entries (so far)

Kw Inkscape Fun Zone 1
    Balloons Perspectives
    Perspective
    Inkscape All Star / 2022
    Back Front
    Galee
    Kw Moving N
    Surrealb&W
    Surreal/2022
    Think Outside The Box.
    Reality
    Kw Starter Image
    Kw Flower Clown Face Girl
    Inkscape Wizard
    Layer 04 Skyscrapers
    Back Front Ii
    Captura De Pantalla  2022 08 17 06 18 01
    Poster 2022
    Hum Hum @Hum

A little perspective change of text and color.

Inkscape offers you a fun zone to explore.

(Key steps taken: Text Tool, Pattern Along Path, Extrude  Extension, Bucket Fill ... experimentation.)

Kw Inkscape Fun Zone 1
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

Nice work @ken10001000. I like the 3d lettering. Great entry and extra points for being first!

Marcos González Marcos González @mrks9

Nice effect, @ken10001000 Thanks for sharing.

Hum Hum @Hum

Thank you, Pacer and Marcos.

Algot Runeman Algot Runeman @AlgotRuneman
    🔥*

I cannot say this has much about it that represents reality. Hand 'drawn' letters don't please me much. Very much inspired by Ken Wilson's submission (Nice job, Ken.)

Of course, right after posting my first effort, an easier-to-do, maybe more realistic image came to mind.

Balloons Perspectives
    Perspective
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@AlgotRuneman Two well produced pieces. I like them both equally for different reasons. Thank you for your entries!

Thanks for sharing, @AlgotRuneman  I like the Perspective effect 👍

🖍

My first idea didn't work, so I decided on this other one 😊

Inkscape All Star / 2022

It looks to me like the contest is getting much closer to the reality goal. Really nice details on that pair of Inkscape sneakers, @mrks9

Sneaky, effective, two perspective view of the shoe!

Hum Hum @Hum

Marcos, excellent work. Thank you for sharing this. A real treat.

@AlgotRuneman @ken10001000 Thanks a lot 😉

Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    🖍😀

Something different. 

Been working on this knot layout  lately. This image is built up from 372 tiles, overlapping eachother to prevent any rendering gap issues. 

With the help of the arrange-restack extension, could reverse the z-order of the objects, so you can see the  image from a different perspective -from its back.

Back Front

Lovely complexity, @Lazur The color shifts are very effective.

@Lazur Wow, a really complex shape. I feel the one on the left has lost a bit of the sense of depth, but the other one is perfect. Great work! 💯

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Thank you!

@mrks9 the left one is the usually hidden part, the flipside. It just shows what complex hoops you need to jump for proper overlapping. 

It isn't meant to be seen usually. 

Was thinking of how to animate this so that each object appear as a separate brush stroke, one after another.

Caradjine Caradjine @Caradjine

@mrks9 You are in other dimension :-)

Wonderful job!

🖍*

I needed (not really but...) some pictures for an article I am writing on writing.  @ken10001000 and @AlgotRuneman inspired me for that with the text before being printed with movable types in a composing stick (yes I should have drawn vertical lines between the letters, but i t was too much work 😀. The font is Jenson, I redesigned it a bit for the illuminated V.

Galee
    Hum Hum @Hum

A few days ago, I saw an "Open" sign and noticed if you moved the "N" ... the word changed to "Nope".

That stayed with me, and I came up with this.

I wanted to convey a view of looking down into a circle of text. And, I wanted to have some cartoon-like letters.

(Perhaps one does not think falls into the realism focus here. But I like it and did my best for my "downward looking " - lense like goal.)

Most of all, I wanted a "philosophical" piece. We can change our views (perspective) ... often by moving "N" (moving in).

100 percent Inkscape.

Kw Moving N
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 I love your shoes! Really clever. The only thing I would add is some lighting variation as the shoe curves away (toe, heal), matching that of the box, to show depth. However, they still look great as they are. Brilliant entry. Thank you.

Thanks @pacer. You are absolutely right. I tried that but since I'm not good at shading, it made it worse instead of helping, so I discarded it. I'm still learning 😊

A reinterpretation of a previous work. Although it would not be an object from more than one point of view, it could be two interpretations of the same object, even if it is invented 😉

Surrealb&W
    Surreal/2022
    Hum Hum @Hum

Marcos, another great piece. Inventive, "outside the box", challenging. Thank you!

@ken10001000 Thanks, Ken. I like weird things 😋

The mention of weird things and a reminder of the realism theme caused my juices to flow...producing (reality?):

Reality

Reading the @ken10001000 comment above, an idea crossed my mind 🤔😄

Think Outside The Box.
    Hum Hum @Hum

Began with "starter" image, which resembles a flower opening up.

Then, I wondered if I could contort the shape and use it as the basis for a clown like face. Next, the idea to develop a female face from my imagination.

After that, a simple perspective for the left and rigtht "views".

This may not be entirely realistic, but it suits my eye for an appealing face.

I also like the unique and unusual.

Kw Starter Image
    Kw Flower Clown Face Girl
    m1981 m1981 @m1981
    😉*

For splashscreen 1.2 contest some month ago, I discovered there was someone hidden in the Inkscape logo.

Beware, it seems to be in a bad mood those days !

Inkscape Wizard
    m1981 m1981 @m1981

Another perpective.

Layer 04 Skyscrapers

@ken10001000 Good idea, Ken.

@m1981 Great work with that splashscreen.

Lazur Lazur @Lazur

Another tiling, with front and back views. 1352 tiles per knot. 

Wondering how this can be animated for a sort of on-load animation. 

The process of this intricate design building up would look so satisfying.

Back Front Ii
    Hum Hum @Hum

Does anyone here routinely use grids/guides when creating your objects from different points of view?

Such as 2 point, 3 point, 4 point, and even 5 point perspectives grids.

I always use guides, and almost never the grids.

I don't use them, I always do it by eye. But I want to start learning how to handle them. I mean the grids. I use the guides to adjust text sizes and things like that.

Hum Hum @Hum

Thanks for answering about the perspective grids and guides. 

Very similar question: does anyone use the Perspective and Envelope Extensions? When designing or creating objects, from a different point of view? And, also, do you use the Transform Panel (Rotate, Scale, Shear, etc.) to create or contort your objects?

Thank you for sharing.

Yep, sometimes use Perspective, Bend, Envelope and Lattice to create more organic shapes.

🔥*

Another strange idea of those I like quite a bit 😋

Captura De Pantalla  2022 08 17 06 18 01
    Poster 2022
    Lazur Lazur @Lazur
    ken10001000

Does anyone here routinely use grids/guides when creating your objects from different points of view? Such as 2 point, 3 point, 4 point, and even 5 point perspectives grids.

That's a rather  specific use case, isn't it?

For me inkscape is just a drawing tool and although it's beneficial to know how things can be achieved easily on the canvas, 

it all comes down your understanding on the drawing process itself. 

Previously I did use many guide lines and the perspective tool extensively to create 2 point perspective images. 

In that regard, there is not much different between 1 and 2 point perspective construction. 

3 points? That was out of the scope of my studies although I have some rough guesses. 

4 point perspective? As in fisheye view? That doesn't really work with a perpendicular grid. 

5 point perspective? Like a conic panorama? That's hardly ever used. Instead, 6 point perspective is, with a stereographic projection, where every straight line becomes a circle after the projection.

A Wulff net can look pleasing but hardly beneficial if you are not drawing a grid to construct a Sun-path diagram. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Wulff-net-or-stereonet-It-is-used-for-plotting-stereographic-projection-of-poles_fig5_349185906

Maybe we should start a separate topic related to descriptive geometry, and perspective constructions later on. 

In my experience though using a 3D  modelling software is way faster and more straightforward for this  kind of stuff.

Deleted User [reacted] 🚫
    Removed by GDPR request 2023-01-14
    Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@mrks9 I love the glass and the splash, did you draw it?

@Jellyfish Great concept! And thanks for your entry. I didn't see the third zebra at first.

I don't think I've seen you in the challenge before. We hold challenges every month. The next challenge starts in about 10 days time. It would be great to see you in the next challenge as well.

In the mean time, feel free to stick around for the chat. (multiple entries are always welcome)

Pacer
    Challenge Administrator

Hum Hum @Hum

Jelly Fish, great idea and great work. Unique, fun.

@pacer. Thanks. Everything is Inkscape. Some parts, like the ice cubes texture and the splatter is a mix of the pen tool and trace bitmap. Others are made with the eraser tool and patience 😄

@Jellyfish Excellent! Both the concept and the execution. Thanks for sharing it 💯

Deleted User [reacted] 🚫
    Removed by GDPR request 2023-01-14
    Ankita Pal Ankita Pal @_AfraidofTime_

This Inkscape challenge is brilliant for enhancing not only visual thinking and learning skills but also so much fun to do!

Thank you very much :)

Pacer Pacer @pacer🏁

@_AfraidofTime_ @AlgotRuneman @Caradjine @Jellyfish @ken10001000 @Lazur @m1981 @mrks9

Thank you all for your participation in the August Inkscape Challenge. Now, for the next challenge....

As we transition from Summer to Autumn, the sun is lower in the sky, For the September challenge, draw any object twice with different lighting. Interested? Head over to the challenge page and post your entry. Multiple entries and chitchat are encouraged. See you there!

https://inkscape.org/forums/competitions/inkscape-challenge-1-september-2022-30-september-2022/

#inkscapechallenge #artwithopensource

Inkscape Inkscape.org Inkscape Forum Drawing Challenges, Contests, Competitions 🧊 Inkscape Challenge | 1 August 2022 - 31 August 2022