Inkscape.org
Beginners' Questions Display settings as of 1.2.2
    Paul Robinson Paul Robinson @paulanthonyrobinson

Where are the settings to switch the display mode from default, custom, etc.?  I like the way that Inkscape has been set up back in the period before 1.0 and I cannot see where the settings are to change it to the default display layout that existed before 1.0.  If there is a way to do it then I would love to know where those settings are and how to set them to "Default" like the older versions had.  Do any of you know where those settings are and FYI, wide screen does not do that.

Polygon Polygon @Polygon🌶

The only entry I see is under View->Widescreen as an on/off toggle in 1.3alpha.

Mada Sahdow Mada Sahdow @Madasahdow

I have the same question. Inkscape was so good back when 1.0 was released. Now it has not even the title, so I need to go Files->Quit to close the software. 

Do you know what I call this? bad User Experience design. 

Tyler Durden Tyler Durden @TylerDurden

@madasahdow

I'd call it operator error... fullscreen is active.

Mada Sahdow Mada Sahdow @Madasahdow

It's not. Fullscreen is not active. I'm gonna uninstall and reinstall this shoot again. Thank you.

Polygon Polygon @Polygon🌶

What OS are you´re on?

Windows 10

I'd uncheck the widescreen box and set the theme to Classic Inkscape (from the splash screen) or use Preferences>Interface>Theming>Change GTK theme

I don't use the splash screen on applications in order to have them running faster on startup.

Then just use the preferences, or turn it off after setting the theme.

Preferences does not allow me to change from default to custom or widescreen, or for that matter the other way around.

paulanthonyrobinson

I like the way that Inkscape has been set up back in the period before 1.0 and I cannot see where the settings are to change it to the default display layout that existed before 1.0. 

Here is how I have my setup. Win & Linux. I still teach using 0.92.2, so I'm quite familiar with the default setup of pre-1.0.

This can be achieved using the preferences for theming and unchecking the widescreen box in the view menu.

My issues are not with the versions up and to 1.0 but are those versions after version 1.0 where the settings to change the UI from one width setting to another have changed or disappeared.

Un-ticking the widescreen checkbox in the View menu is the same as selecting Default in earlier versions.

No, it does not.  In the older versions there were 3 view modes.   Those were default, widescreen and custom.  Unchecking that setting does not set it to default.  It either switches from wide to custom or the other way around and not default.

In my older versions, "Custom" places the snap bar on top with the controls and commands. Default puts the commands bar on top, Wide puts the Commands bar on the right.

Widescreen toggle here (v1.0.x) puts the commands bar on the right, or not.

My version, if it is the newest one, does not do or look like the lower one shown above.

In Inkscape, Open 'Help > About' and click on the little bug icon in the bottom right corner that copies the debug information to your clipboard. 

Paste that information in a reply.