Get Inkscape for OS X
There are currently no official .dmg files available for the Inkscape 0.92 series yet. In the meantime, it's suggested to continue using the previous stable Inkscape version, Inkscape 0.91 (see below). For users who cannot wait to try out the new features and have some technical experience, alternative installation methods are available.
If you can help with packaging for OS X, please get in touch with the small group of developers that has formed to work on this together via the inkscape-devel IRC Chat channel or the developers' mailing list.
Preparation and running Inkscape
- Download and install XQuartz from xquartz.macosforge.org. Specific instructions on installing XQuartz and support are found at the XQuartz web site. Note: Inkscape runs on XQuartz. This step and the next are required.
- Restart the computer or log out and back in to complete the XQuartz installation.
- Add Inkscape to your Applications folder.
- Run Inkscape. A prompt will ask about the location of X11. Point to XQuartz in your Applications/Utilities directory. Note: This first launch of Inkscape can take a while because it will cache fonts installed on your system.
- Configure X11's input and pasteboard settings in X11 > Preferences:
Because Inkscape runs on X11's architecture, keyboard shortcuts use Ctrl (^) instead of Cmd (⌘) as modifier key. This will change in future versions.
More extensive information can be found on the Inkscape FAQ.
Alternative installation methods for Inkscape 0.92 and higher
These require some technical experience and are not generally suggested for a non-developer audience.
Inkscape 0.92 is available via MacPorts both as an X11 build and as a native Quartz build. If you have MacPorts installed, you can build the X11 version using
sudo port install inkscape
or the Quartz version using
sudo port install inkscape +quartz
The native quartz build can potentially be less stable, and less well integrated into the desktop environment (e.g. for copy-pasting).
Packaged installers for MacPorts are available for MacOS X versions 10.4 (Tiger) to present 10.12 (Sierra).
The MacPorts Inkscape builds are provided by MacPorts. If you encounter issues with installing via MacPorts, please contact them via their bugtracker.
There is also a Homebrew formula available for Inkscape 0.92.1.
brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape
Note: If you've previously installed Inkscape using Homebrew, you should run the following commands to remove previous installations before using the installation command above:
brew uninstall inkscape brew cleanup
The Homebrew formula is provided by Tim Sheridan. If you encounter issues with installing Inkscape this way, please create a bug report in its repository at github.