Get Inkscape for OS X
Latest stable version: Inkscape 0.91
Preparation and running Inkscape
- Download and install XQuartz from xquartz.macosforge.org. Specific instructions on installing XQuartz and support are found at the XQuartz web site. Note: Inkscape runs on XQuartz. This step and the next are required.
- Restart the computer or log out and back in to complete the XQuartz installation.
- Add Inkscape to your Applications folder.
- Run Inkscape. A prompt will ask about the location of X11. Point to XQuartz in your Applications/Utilities directory. Note: This first launch of Inkscape can take a while because it will cache fonts installed on your system.
- Configure X11's input and pasteboard settings in X11 > Preferences:
Because Inkscape runs on X11's architecture, keyboard shortcuts use Ctrl (^) instead of Cmd (⌘) as modifier key. This will change in future versions.
More extensive information can be found on the Inkscape FAQ.