Inkscape 0.43 Windows and OS X PackagesNovember 23, 2005
Many OS X users have reported being unable to open SVG files using the open dialog in Inkscape 0.43. It has been fixed in an updated package, Inkscape-0.43-2.dmg, which is now available for download.
Inkscape 0.43 ReleaseNovember 21, 2005
Inkscape 0.43 is now available thanks to the work of many developers and the sponsorship of Google's Summer of Code program which sponsored four students to work on features for Inkscape. The main new features in this release are:
- Connectors: Objects can be connected using auto-routing lines.
- Inkboard Collaborative Editing: You can connect to other Inkscape users over a network and edit a shared document.
- Pressure and Tilt Sensitivity: The calligraphy tool may now use a tablet pen with pressure and tilt support.
- Better Node Editing: You can now drag, bend, and stretch a Bezier curve by any point and not only by a node.
- New Extensions: There are now extensions for envelope distortion, whirling, and adding nodes.
- SVG Compliance: There is now additional support for the viewBox element improving SVG compatibility.
- There is an online book, "A Guide to Inkscape", which has been updated to cover the 0.43 features.
Currently the Inkscape community is working on the next release which will focus on stability and closing bugs. The next release will add an outline viewing mode, a plan towards SVG Tiny compliance, a fill and stroke interface to the bottom toolbar, and more application refinements.
Inkscape is open to all types of contributions by people with all different skill levels from around the world. We need translators, web designers, people to help answer questions, and developers to help us reach our goal of SVG compliance. Visit Inkscape.org and come help us Draw Freely.
Download Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X packages:
For many more details, see the complete Release Notes for 0.43:
Community submitted screenshots:
Inkscape Presentation at LULANovember 18, 2005
Inkscape Project StatusNovember 15, 2005
The new status report for November 15 is posted.
Inkscape in ActionNovember 10, 2005
Here is a photo of a poster done using Gimp, Inkscape, and Scribus.
Cmarqu posted a link showing Tigert's use of Inkscape for mocking up the Tango UI.
Tigert has posted about his use of Inkscape for painting his Cessna. Whoa!
Inkscape Book updated for 0.43November 7, 2005
In great anticipation of the upcoming 0.43 release of Inkscape, Tav has just released an updated version of the Inkscape Manual.
The updated book adds coverage of:
- Pressure and tilt using a tablet
Coverage has been updated for all Interface and Usability improvements.
File exports are covered in greater detail with examples given for each type of export. And a new tutorial has been added showing how to draw a can of Split Pea Soup. Quite a few corrections, both factual and grammatical, have been made.
The new book replaces the old book... be careful to refresh the pages or you may end up seeing the old pages from your cache.
Inkscape Project StatusNovember 1, 2005
A new status report is online.