July 30, 2004 - Inkscape is the number one best-voted application on the newly implemented Gnomefiles.org site. Head over there and vote for your favorite SVG vector editor!
Scribus and KDE: Real World Publication Production
July 22, 2004 - Mrdocs will be giving a presentation on Scribus at the 2004 KDE Community World Summit Aug 28 in ludwigsberg.
Announcement of Inkscape 0.39 Release
July 20, 2004 - Inkscape 0.39 is released and announcements sent out. A variety of packages are available, so if you've been holding off installing it, now's the time. :-)
Inkscape 0.39 Released
July 15, 2004 - We have completed the Hard Freeze and created the 0.39 release branch. A tarball is now available from our downloads area, and at this time we would ask all packagers to please begin generating packages for platforms. We will put out the general announce in a couple of days.
Project Status 2004-07-15
July 15, 2004 - The bi-monthly status report for July 15 is online for review.
Hard Freeze for 0.39 Release
July 13, 2004 - We are now in 'Hard Freeze' in preparation for the release, during which time changes should not be committed to the codebase. We have established a Change Control Team: Mental and Bulia. They will review and apply patches necessary to fix any final remaining issues or add any last minute translation work.
We have cut a pre4 package that you are highly encouraged to download, compile, and test out. If you notice problems (especially build issues), please report them to the bug tracker.
Feature Freeze for 0.39 Release
July 10, 2004 - The Inkscape codebase is now considered closed to new features, and work is focusing on bug fixing. We intend to focus on addressing as many 'critical' bugs as possible; this means, bugs that lead to crashes or that significantly undermine the usability or performance of the application. We identified 21 such bugs that we're working on.
Due to the timing of the freeze, certain features such as the recently mentioned layer capability, will be available only in limited form. Once this release is out the door, work will resume at completing those capabilities.
layercake layercake baker's man...
July 3, 2004 - Mental has been madly implementing basic layer support for this release, and has gotten the following working:
- We've retired the inkscape:groupmode attribute as it has served its purpose
- You get Sodipodi-style "enter group"/"leave group" commands on the context (right click) menu which can be used to switch to using a group as a layer, or switch back to that group's parent
- when a group is in this "layer" mode, the drawing tools create shapes within it and you can drag and select its objects directly
Here are the items that are still needed:
- The "group mode" setting needs to be per-NRArena key, and persist across hide/show cycles (currently, the change in event handling behavior is global, even though layer activation is per-SPDesktop)
- Some sort of visual indicator of the current layer would be nice. Mental has provided an SPDesktop (SigC++) signal for this purpose, which can be connected to via SPDesktop::connectCurrentLayerChanged()
- should e.g. "Select All" etc be influenced by the current group?
July 2, 2004 - Ted has implemented EPS import support in CVS. Basically, this uses the toolchain: EPS-to-PS-to-Sketch-to-SVG. "Kind of convoluted, but most users won't have to see that. To see this work you'll need to have pstoedit, ghostscript, and Sketch installed. If other people could look at this and comment that would be great. If you have those installed, all you need to do is open a bunch of EPS files."
Project Status 2004-07-01
July 1, 2004 - The bi-monthly status report for July 1st is online for review. We're now in the initial stages of the freeze process on the path to the 0.39 release.